Best Steam Iron
- 1 Best Steam Iron
- 2 Best Budget Steam Iron
- 3 Best Value Steam Iron
- 4 Best Performing Steam Iron
- 5 Best Steam Iron (Overall Winner)
- 6 The Bottom Line
Let’s just be honest, ironing isn’t the most glamorous of house chores. In fact, most of us find it annoying in more ways than one, especially when it comes to dealing with stubborn creases. It is, therefore, no surprise that steam irons are a consumer favourite.
These irons provide your clothes with some much-needed wrinkle removing steam that leaves them looking pristine at all times. While some steam irons allow for temperature adjustments, there are those that use one temperature for all fabrics.
Ideally, you should always choose a steam iron that is comfortable to hold, warns you when it’s getting dry and is easy to fill up.
Benefits of a steam iron
- Removes wrinkles faster than dry irons
- Makes it easier to remove stubborn wrinkles
- Can also be used as a dry iron
Disadvantages of a steam iron
- Unsuitable for some fabric types
- Requires frequent refilling
- Water can drip out of the iron
For this review, we selected steam irons that are powerful, reliable and safe. All featured irons are highly rated and boast of high performance. In order to make sure that there is something for everyone, we went out of our way to include a budget buy, a moderately priced pick and a high-end choice.
Best Budget Steam Iron
Russell Hobbs Supreme Steam Traditional Iron 23060
Russell Hobbs has long been known for producing stylish, innovative and high-quality electronic appliances. Whether you’re looking for an iron, a kettle or even a toaster, you can never go wrong with this brand. One of its many success stories is the Russell Hobbs Supreme Steam Traditional Iron 23060.
Due to its non-stick stainless steel soleplate, this steam iron provides a smooth and effortless glide over even the toughest of creases. The fact that it comes with anti-drip and self-cleaning functions is yet another reason that we think it is the best budget buy.
This steam iron also features a 2-meter cable that gives you all the freedom and mobility you need. You will also be happy to know that the Russell Hobbs Supreme Steam Traditional Iron 23060 ships with an informative user manual.
Benefits of the Russell Hobbs Supreme Steam Traditional Iron 23060
- Its tank is easy to fill
- Its vertical steam function makes it easy to steam hanging garments
- It comes with a comfortable handle and dial
Disadvantages of the Russell Hobbs Supreme Steam Traditional Iron 23060
- When turning this steam iron off, you have to turn the heat dial all the way down
- Weight: 1.13 kilograms
- Dimensions: 28.5 × 13 × 14.5 cm
- Power: 2,400 watts
- Water tank capacity: 300 ml
- Power cord length: 2 m
- Continuous steam: 40 g/min
- Steam shot: 110 g/min
- Soleplate material: stainless steel
Honestly, the fact that this steam iron is extremely popular isn’t a surprise. It offers a ton of features that you simply don’t expect from an appliance of this price range. At such a low price tag, this is as good as it gets.
Best Value Steam Iron
Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 3100 W Vertical Steam Iron 20630
This is yet another Russell Hobbs masterpiece. Due to its impressive 3100 watt power, the Powersteam Ultra 20630 heats up 15% faster than previous Russell Hobbs steam irons. Moreover, it boasts of an automatic switch-off function and a triple action self-cleaning function, features that are usually present in high-end steam irons.
Although this steam iron isn’t the cheapest one on the market, its impressive features make it worth the extra cash. It also helps that the Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 20630 come with an instruction manual and a 3-year guarantee.
Benefits of the Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 20630
- It is 50% smoother than previous models
- Its vertical steam function makes it suitable for steaming hanging garments
- Gives you control over the amount of steam to apply
- Its footplate has grooves that help you avoid buttons as you iron
Disadvantages of the Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 20630
- Larger and heavier than most steam irons
- The temperature dial is easily knocked
- Weight: 1.6 kilograms
- Dimensions: 17 × 12.2 × 30.5 cm
- Power: 3,100 watts
- Water tank capacity: 350 ml
- Power cord length: 3 m
- Continuous steam: 45 g/min
- Steam shot: 210 g/min
- Soleplate material: ceramic
It is just unbelievable the number of helpful features Russell Hobbs managed to pack in this steam iron. Honestly, there are several expensive steam irons that can’t hold a candle to the Powersteam Ultra 20630. Ultimately, it is definitely a good bang for your buck.
Best Performing Steam Iron
Philips GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus Steam Iron
With over 65 years’ experience in iron manufacturing, Philips has all but dominated this sector. Year after year this brand has provided us with the best irons of all time. When it comes to steam irons, things aren’t that different.
One of their highest performing steam irons is the GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus, an appliance that stands out in many ways. Some of its features include:
- The large and easy-to-fill water tank that saves you the time used in frequent refills
- Premium scratch resistant soleplate that delivers high gliding quality
- Automatic shut off feature that turns off the iron when it’s idle for at least 8 minutes on its heel rest or at least 30 seconds on its sides or soleplate
- Built-in calc container that collects calc particles during the ironing process
- A self-cleaning function that ejects calc particles from the iron
- Soft grip and long cable for comfortable ironing
- Grooves on the soleplate that help you avoid buttons as you iron
- Smart steam temperature control that allows for the application of the ideal amount of steam for each fabric type
When you order the Philips GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus Steam Iron, the following items are shipped with it:
- CordGuide accessory that keeps the cord off your ironing board as you work. This prevents re-creasing of clothes
- 2-year worldwide warranty
- A user manual
Benefits of the Philips GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus Steam Iron
- Long life steam performance
- Doesn’t require a lot of effort to use
- Its pointed end allows you to comfortably iron hard-to-reach corners
Disadvantages of the Philips GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus Steam Iron
- The calc container cannot be removed
- Weight: 1.575 kilograms
- Dimensions: 32 × 16 × 14 cm
- Power: 2,600 watts
- Water tank capacity: 300 ml
- Power cord length: 2.5 m
- Continuous steam: 50 g/min
- Steam shot: 210 g/min
- Soleplate type: T-ionicGlide
If you’re looking for a high-performing steam iron that has the ability to continuously supply a high amount of steam, the Philips GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus is right up your alley. Ultimately, its high price is completely understandable.
Best Steam Iron (Overall Winner)
Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 20630
While the Philips GC4526/87 Azur Performer Plus has a lot of amazing features, you can get most of its qualities in the cheaper and more powerful Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 20630. The latter steam iron offers you so much for so little and as such is almost impossible to resist.
It is also worth noting that although the Russell Hobbs Supreme Steam Traditional Iron 2306 is a solid choice, it can’t compare to the other featured irons. In fact, in this review, it is the least powerful and has the least steam capacity.
At the end of the day, the Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 20630 is the only featured steam iron that offers a combination of high power, high functionality, reliability and great affordability. By all means, you should buy yourself one.
The Bottom Line
Whether you love or hate ironing is greatly determined by the type of appliance that you use. As such, it is important that you have a good steam iron. A proper steam iron will ensure that even your toughest-to-iron clothes are left looking crisp and pristine.
However, choosing such an iron can be a hassle. With so many brands and models available, it is easier to just pick the first steam iron you see. Since we want you to get the best and are in the business of making your life easier, we decided to come up with this informative review.
No matter what features you need or what your budget is, you will definitely find a suitable steam iron here.