Best Smart Speaker Review
- 1 Best Smart Speaker Review
- 2 Best Budget Smart Speaker
- 3 Best Value Smart Speaker
- 4 Best Performing Smart Speaker
- 5 Best Smart Speaker (Overall Winner)
- 6 The Bottom Line
Welcome to the twenty-first-century people! We now live in a world where your speakers can come with Bluetooth connectivity, clocks, internet access and even voice control. While the tech industry generally uses the term smart speaker to describe a speaker that comes with voice control such as Amazon’s Alexa, technically, any speaker that does more than just emit sound can be referred to as smart.
As such, in this review, we have featured speakers with a wide range of capabilities. While some have voice control, others rely solely on Bluetooth connectivity. However, they all have one thing in common; they don’t compromise on audio quality.
Benefits of a smart speaker
- Apart from acting as speakers, they usually perform a variety of other functions
- Allows you to control them using your phone or voice
- Easy to set up
Disadvantages of a smart speaker
- Smart speakers with voice control are always listening to what is happening in your house. This can pose a security threat
In this review, you will find an affordable basic speaker, a moderately priced one and an expensive high-end buy. We guarantee you that all our featured speakers are versatile and highly efficient. They truly are the best that money can buy.
Best Budget Smart Speaker
The Morpilot Bluetooth Smart Bulb
This affordable smart speaker stands out in more ways than one. First of all, it features an LED light, giving you access to 9 main colours and supporting over 16 million more. For a more animated feel, the Morpilot Bluetooth Smart Bulb features a white light that twinkles according to the rhythm of the music playing.
Yet another thing we love about this smart speaker is the fact that it can be controlled by a smartphone using the JBSmartPro app and the speaker’s Bluetooth connectivity. Moreover, the Morpilot Smart Bulb features a sleeping timer assistant and a high lumen LED chip that makes it significantly brighter than its competitors while saving on energy consumption.
It is also worth noting that this smart speaker ships with an informative user manual.
Benefits of the Morpilot Bluetooth Smart Bulb
- Can play music from any source
- Compatible with both Android and IOS smartphones
- Bright yet energy saving
- Has a lifetime of 50,000 hours; the equivalent of 5 years of non-stop lighting
- Easy to install
Disadvantages of the Morpilot Bluetooth Smart Bulb
- One Morpilot speaker can only connect to one smartphone
- Doesn’t come with voice control
- Weight: 231 grams
- Bulb length: 144 mm
- Bulb diameter: 80 mm
- Type of bulb: LED
- Bulb lifespan: 50,000 hours
- Voltage: AC100-240V/50Hz-60Hz
- Total power: 12W
- LED power: 6W
- Speaker power: 3W
- Wireless range: 10m/33ft
- Temperature: 5700-6300 K
- Bluetooth Version: V4.2
Ultimately, the Morpilot Bluetooth Smart Bulb does all that it promises to do. At such a low price tag, we would be surprised if you found a better smart speaker.
Best Value Smart Speaker
The Vobot Smart Alarm LED Clock
If you are looking for a speaker with voice control, the Vobot Smart Alarm LED Clock is just what you need. This speaker comes with Amazon’s Alexa that helps you to play music, access information, listen to news and even control your smart home devices.
On top of its speaker and alarm clock functions, this device also features a proximity sensor and a clear LED display that can be customized with multiple options. This smart speaker ships with a user manual, a 12-month warranty and lifetime technical support.
Benefits of the Vobot Smart Alarm LED Clock
- Easy to set up and use
- Can perform a variety of functions
- Provides good audio quality
Disadvantages of the Vobot Smart Alarm LED Clock
- Doesn’t come with Bluetooth
- Requires regular Alexa app updates
- Weight: 150 grams
- Dimensions: 90 × 90 × 74 mm
- Type of display: LED dot matrix
- Voltage: 5V
- Current: 2A
- Speaker power: 5W
- Connectivity: 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
- AUX OUT: 3.5 mm
This Alexa enabled smart speaker is perfect for those who are looking for a voice controlled device that doesn’t break their bank accounts. It is sleek, durable, and does all that it claims to do. Ultimately, it gives you good money for your money.
Best Performing Smart Speaker
The JBL Horizon Wireless Bluetooth Dual Alarm Clock FM Radio
This is yet another impressive speaker and clock combo. This JBL smart speaker comes with a ton of features that make it stand out from its competitors. These include:
- 3 original digital alarm tones for an added variety
- 2 customizable alarms for you and your partner’s comfort
- 5 programmable FM radio presets
- Smartphone control by the use of Bluetooth or a traditional buzzer
- Ability to stream music from any Bluetooth phone or tablet
- Compact design for ease of storage
- Clear LCD display that lets you easily read date and time
- Built-in light sensors that allow you to automatically adjust brightness according to the environment
- 2 USB ports that you can use to charge your mobile devices even when the speaker system is turned off
- Snooze button for increased ease of use
- Ambient light that gradually increases in intensity to help you wake up easier
- The built-in 5-hour battery that allows you to use it even during a power outage
It is also worth noting that this smart speaker ships with the following accessories:
- An FM antenna
- A power adapter with exchangeable plugs
- A safety sheet
- A Quick Start guide
Benefits of the JBL Horizon
- Stylish design
- Easy to use
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices
Disadvantages of the JBL Horizon
- It can’t be limited to a certain volume
- It doesn’t have a switch off button
- Weight: 890 grams
- Height: 160 mm
- Width: 183 mm
- Depth: 86 mm
- Type of display: LCD
- Frequency response: 70 Hz to 20 kHz
- Power: 2 × 5W
- Connectivity: Bluetooth
In spite of a few flaws here and there, the JBL Horizon is quite a stand-up smart speaker. It is efficient in both its speaker and alarm clock functions, making it one of the best clock and speaker combos on the market right now. Although it costs a small fortune, it is more than worth it.
Best Smart Speaker (Overall Winner)
The Vobot Smart Alarm LED Clock
While all our featured smart speakers are quite impressive, it is not lost on us that the Vobot Smart Alarm Clock is by far the best. Although it is very similar to the JBL Horizon, it comes with the added advantage of including voice control. This makes it capable of doing above and beyond what the JBL Horizon can do.
It allows you to access the internet, listen to the news, control smart home devices and so much more. We also love that it is much cheaper than the JBL Horizon. On the other hand, although the Morpilot Bluetooth Smart Bulb can perform a variety of functions, it also doesn’t feature voice control.
No matter how you look at it, the Vobot Smart Alarm Clock is the best smart speaker in this review. It gives you the widest range of services for the least money possible.
The Bottom Line
In this day and age, voice-controlled smart speakers are the in thing. Many people already have one and those who don’t really want one. The fact that they can perform out of the box activities like reducing the house lighting and setting the thermostat makes them popular among people who are always on the go.
That is why we truly believe that our top pick, the Vobot Smart Alarm Clock is the best smart speaker on the market right now. However, you should know that voice-controlled speakers are always listening to conversations occurring in the house. This poses a security threat in that a third party can gain access to personal conversations.
At the end of the day, even the best of products have a flaw or two. You just have to choose the flaws you can live with.