Best Microwave Review
- 1 Best Microwave Review
- 2 Best Budget Microwave
- 3 Best Value Microwave
- 4 Best Performing Microwave
- 5 Best Microwave (Overall Winner)
- 6 The Bottom Line
Over the years, microwaves have become a very important part of our kitchens. These devices have made reheating food easier than ever, forever eliminating the need to use a stovetop to do so. Moreover, microwaves can defrost, grill, roast, bake and even toast.
With these convenient and easy to use devices, you can make a variety of meals and snacks ranging from potatoes to salmon. Due to their popularity, manufacturers have produced hundreds of these kitchen appliances.
As such, choosing one can be a difficult task. This is why we here at CleverHab decided to come up with this informative review. Here we have featured the best performing microwaves that money can buy.
Benefits of a microwave
- Heats and cooks faster than stovetops
- While the food is heated, the utensil it’s in remains at room temperature
- Cooks uniformly
- Maintains the flavour and texture of the food
- Allows for low-fat cooking
Disadvantages of a microwave
- Can’t cook food that is thicker than1 to 1.5 inches evenly
- Only microwave-safe utensils should be used. Plastic utensils can allow harmful chemicals to migrate to the food
- Doesn’t brown food unless it has a browning unit
For this review, we went for microwaves that are high-performing, versatile and aesthetically pleasing. We also made it our number one priority to ensure that we featured a good microwave for each price range.
Best Budget Microwave
The Russell Hobbs RHM1714B
The Russell Hobbs brand has long been known for producing affordable high-quality kitchen appliances. Things are no different when it comes to the Russell Hobbs RHM1714B. With its silver mirror finished door and stylish black housing, this microwave is very attractive.
Furthermore, it features weight defrost settings that allow it to automatically set defrost times required for any weight of food. We also love that its auto cook options give you the power to create a variety of meals ranging from steamed salmon to jacket potatoes.
Such versatility enhancing features make the Russell Hobbs RHM1714B a budget buy that gives you good value for your money. This microwave ships with a turntable, a turntable ring, an instruction manual and a one-year guarantee.
Benefits of the Russell Hobbs RHM1714B
- Comes with 5 power levels
- Stylish design
- Easy to set up and use
Disadvantages of the Russell Hobbs RHM1714B
- Unlike most microwaves, it doesn’t come with a rapid cook default setting
- Weight: 10.5 kilograms
- Depth: 36 cm
- Width: 45.2 cm
- Height: 26.2 cm
- Power: 700 watts
- Volume capacity: 17 litres
- Turntable diameter: 24.5 cm
Ultimately, the Russell Hobbs RHM1714B provides users with a healthy balance of good performance, versatility, affordability and good aesthetics. At such a low price tag, there is no better microwave.
Best Value Microwave
The Daewoo KOR7LBKC
The first thing you’ll notice about the Daewoo KOR7LBKC is its retro design and glossy cream finish. This makes it blend easily with your other kitchen appliances. One of the most outstanding features of the Daewoo KOR7LBKC is its concave reflector system that ensures even cooking.
You will also love that it comes with an auto defrost function and a child safety lock that ensures your little ones can’t tamper with it. Due to its zero standby feature, cooking with this microwave doesn’t consume a lot of energy.
It is evident that although the Daewoo KOR7LBKC isn’t the cheapest microwave on the market, it more than makes up for it through the inclusion of several high-end features. This microwave ships with an instruction manual, a glass platter, and a warranty card.
Benefits of the Daewoo KOR7LBKC
- Small and compact
Disadvantages of the Daewoo KOR7LBKC
- Some have complained that it gets spoilt easily
- Inside is too small to fit some dinner plates
- Weight: 10.6 kilograms
- Dimensions: 44.6 × 27 ×32.3 cm
- Power: 800 watts
- Volume capacity: 20 litres
- Voltage: 230 volts
- Turntable diameter: 32.3 cm
If you are looking for a microwave that offers several high-end features without breaking your bank, the Daewoo KOR7LBKC is exactly what you need. With its attractive retro design and ease of use, it is definitely a good bang for your buck.
Best Performing Microwave
The Sharp R959SLMAA Combination Microwave
When it comes to the top of the line microwaves, none is like the Sharp R959SLMAA. At first glance, its silver finish tells a tale of style and sophistication. Those who are looking to add a modern feel to their kitchen will love this appliance.
It is also worth noting that the Sharp R959SLMAA comes with a variety of impressive features that make it one of the highest rated microwaves today. Some of them include:
- 40-litre capacity that is more than enough for your cooking needs
- Quartz grill for quick and easy grilling
- A conventional cooking function that allows you to simultaneously use both shelves of the microwave for convection baking
- An info button that gives you a step by step explanation of the cooking process
- 5 microwave power settings and 3 cooking stages for added cooking control
- 8 auto cook menus that make it easy to come up with a variety of meals
- Sensor cook function that uses humidity sensors to ensure that your food is juicy
- Auto defrost feature that automatically defrosts food upon the inputting of its weight
- Energy save mode that shuts off the display screen when it isn’t in use
It also helps that the Sharp R959SLMAA Combination Microwave ships with the following accessories:
- A recipe book
- A turntable
- A high rack
- A low rack
- 2 square trays
- An instruction manual
Benefits of the Sharp R959SLMAA Combination Microwave
- Can be used for microwaving, grilling and conventional baking
- Its ceramic turntable doesn’t stain easily
- Easy to use and clean
- Its large capacity makes it possible to cook large family meals with ease
Disadvantages of the Sharp R959SLMAA Combination Microwave
- Large and bulky
- The grill temperature is non-adjustable
- Weight: 23 kilograms
- Depth: 53.7 cm
- Width: 55.5 cm
- Height: 36.8 cm
- Power: 900 watts
- Volume capacity: 40 litres
- Turntable diameter: 36 cm
- Convection oven temperature: 40 to 250 ºC
At the end of the day, the Sharp R959SLMAA provides you with a functionality and sophistication that most microwaves just don’t. It is therefore not surprising that it’s one of the most expensive microwaves out there.
Best Microwave (Overall Winner)
The Sharp R959SLMAA
What really sets the Sharp R959SLMAA on a higher level than the Daewoo KOR7LBKC and Russell Hobbs RHM1714B is the fact that it manages to combine normal microwaving functions with grilling and conventional baking ones.
This microwave can literally do what a conventional oven does and so much more. Moreover, its unique features such as its sensor cook function and energy save mode place it on a calibre of its own. Although it costs a pretty penny, the Sharp R959SLMAA is definitely worth it.
However, if this microwave is way out of your budget, you should go for the Daewoo KOR7LBKC. It is way cheaper and still manages to fit in some bells and whistles. You should only go for the Russell Hobbs RHM1714B if you are on a tight budget and don’t mind missing out on some fancy features.
The Bottom Line
It is undeniable that microwaves play a huge role in modern day kitchens. It is also undeniable that these once simple kitchen appliances have undergone a serious makeover over the years. With fancy features like energy saving modes, auto defrost functions and auto cook menus, modern microwaves can fulfill a variety of cooking needs.
Unfortunately, with such advancements comes a large number of product options ranging from basic to high-end appliances. As such, choosing a suitable microwave can be a gruelling task. In order to make it easier for you, we decided to come up with this informative review.
This review is a product of thorough research and features the best microwaves that money can buy. Since we included a good microwave for each price range, we hope that it has made your microwave selection process much easier.